We’re going to make a colourful and good looking swirl with only a few steps!
1. Start out by creating a 800*600 document. Now go to (filter – render – clouds) so you end up with something like this.
2. Now go to (filter – pixelate – mezzotint) and select short strokes in th drop down menu!
3. Add another filter (filter – blur – radial blur) and use the following settings, do this twice! In the second screenshot you can see the outcome of this third step!
4. Add a twirl (filter – disort – twirl) with an angle of 120!
5. It looks boring right now but you have to duplicate the layer (layer – duplicate layer) and then change the blending mode to lighten! After that add a twirl (filter – disort – twirl) with an angle of -180…
6. Now it’s just time to colorize those 2 layers! So go to (image – adjustments – hue/saturation) and make sure you check the colorize box! Use the following 2 screenshots as a reference for the 2 layers! But you can always select other colors you like more!
7. This is what I ended up with! It looks strange but it’s just a nice colourful swirl and can be used for signatures, headers, banners, ads, etc…